Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Keeping Asheville Weird

I have decided that Asheville, North Carolina, is my destination after college life. This wonderful town is thriving with the arts. There is a musician on every corner, an eclectic arts style throughout each shop and architecture that will blow you away. I've been here before a few years ago with the family in the summer to visit the Biltmore, but we never went to the downtown area. A lot of people say that Asheville is a place for the weirdos...hence why I LOVE it! While the rents and I were visiting the Mast Outfitters store in downtown, I came across a tee that said "If you're too weird for Asheville, you're just too weird" Perfection.
Our first day of vacay started on Christmas day. After a quaint morning with my stocking goodies and breakfast, we went to my grandparents house (mom's side) for the annual Christmas day doings. I was given some fantastic gifts, one being a handmade spool table that my granddad made that looks similar to something I pinned a few months ago that I loved:
Yeah, awesome I know!
We left around 2:30 that afternoon from their house and headed northeast. We got to Chattanooga and had some Christmas night Waffle House (DELISH) and then made the rest of our trip to Knoxville for our one night stay in a hotel. Monday morning we left before the sun peeped up over the mountains. Waking up early was worth it, the views coming out of town towards Asheville were fantastic. Here's a view after the sun came up:
Absolutely stunning. God's got some pretty things out here for us to look at. We got to Asheville early, around 9 that morning. We drove around town and got to Urban Outfitters quick (duh guys, you already know). I got a cute sweater, socks and sweater tights for a mere $36. Atta girl, thrify spender indeed. We headed a few doors down window shopping and saw a yarn shop open.
For those of you that know my mother, she's a yarn queen. She'll knit and/or crochet you pretty much anything you could imagine up. We hung out there for a good while and she got some crazy awesome yarns that were made and dyed in the store. If you've never been to Asheville, you don't really know the pride they have in the "home grown" mentality. I love it. If you can't make it, grow it or produce it, you get someone else in town to do it. Most of the shops and eateries pride themselves in being all local and organic (which is pretty awesome to me). Back to the yarn store; they had some fun yarns in there,
and this sweet pup:
We left there after she turned her hanks into balls of yarny goodness(I know a few things about yarn) and rode around a little more and visited some cute shops including the Mast Outfitters place, it's almost like a Reed's but so much better and much less snobby (think more outdoors, less boutique). We stopped for some lunch at the Mellow Mushroom because it's delicious (yeah, we didn't eat local, but it was WONDERFUL anyway). Here's a view of that deliciousness:
Pretzels for an appetizer....just because we can and we're on vacation (diet and exercise starts immediately following the beginning of school)
Main course was this beautiful pizza, the Red Skin Potato Pie. It was too good for words and you should try it...NOW.

After we hogged out we went to Asheville Mall for me to shop at one store, Aerie. Yes, I do work at VS, but that doesn't mean that I can't partake in cute panties that aren't neon and zebra print. I like a classy under-roo. The mall was packed because it was the day after Christmas and everyone was returning their crap gifts. Good thing I was given a trip for Christmas :) This mall is nuts. It's all carpet and beyond confusing to navigate through, but mission accomplished and panties were on sale (SCOREEEE). We left there and started to head to our sweet little cottage in Marshall, just North of town. I won't make you wait any longer, take a gander at the cuteness that is has been our home away from home.





My favorite part, and sure to be your favorite too (JoAnne Kent, that comment is to you) is this amazing little kitchen. EEP, so cute:
Dad messing with the hot tub pump...yeah that's a cedar hot tub to the right, reminds me of an old water tower or something (and yes....it's awesome)
Our little abode for the past 2 nights.
The place we're staying, East Fork Farm (click for info) has a pretty cool story. Read about it on their website. Here are some of their sheep that they raise (and lamb...that they turn into ground lamb for guests....yummmm!!!!)
GIANT sheepdogs that are sweet (and furry) as can be. I call the one in front Fuzzy McFuzzers.


That's our place. Today, Tuesday, we visited a little bit bigger house, the Biltmore. If you don't know about it or have never heard of it...climb out from under your rock and look it up (jk). It's the nation's largest standing home and was built by the Vanderbilt family (yep, same family as the University). I've been to the home before, but never at Christmas. It. Was. Stunning. Even though we had a pretty rainy morning, the ambiance it set in the house for our 9:30 tour was awesome. The hallways and rooms were dark and the Christmas decorations and lights were beautiful. I couldn't take any pictures inside (sad day...because the decorations and architecture are SO droolworthy)but I got a few outside, one from a stairwell window and one in the basement (shh, secretly did that one).
\





Breakfast and coffee after the tour, that's dad eating his treats (treats and snoozin, snoozing and treats):



Simply amazing. We went to the winery after and did the tour and tasting.

Champagne room, where they add those bubbly bubbles:
Fermentation Process:
I determined after a tester of their Champagne and a tester of a white "sweet" wine that fermented grape juice just simply isn't my thing. It smells great and looks fun, but they both tasted dry and...well...rotten (duhs). It might would help if I enjoyed grape juice in general also. It was a fun experience though. I mainly wanted to do the tasting because I'm 21 now, but they didn't even check my ID (the angst in every newly 21 year old's mind). We left the Biltmore, grabbed lunch at a good local Tex-Mex place in the Biltmore Village and then headed out to find some boots for your girl (me...). I came up empty on the boot search (I can't find that perfect pair...unless the are $328 at Frye.com), but we had fun in the town of Hendersonville, about 30 minutes away from Asheville. We left there and came back to downtown Asheville for me to look for boots, but all the shops were closed. We'll try again tomorrow morning before headed to our next leg of the trip, Wears Valley, TN.
It has been an awesome time in Asheville and an even better time in our cottage. This place is so fun and home-y. If you plan to visit Asheville, I suggest staying here. It's worth the little 20 minute drive. I don't have any cell service out here, but that's not a horrible thing. It's kind of nice. I do, obviously still have my wifi though :)
I'll be blogging again on the trip...and hopefully showing you a new pair of leather boots! We shall see.
I'm leaving you with this picture of downtown Asheville right before dark.

Until next time, partners.

Living life in letters,
Jennifer

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment